Tuesday 10 April 2012

the desolation of Smaug







I think it is high time I put some of Tove Jansson's work on here, my all time favourite illustrator (and author). She's most famous as mother of the Moomins, which- even though they're really kids books- are probably my favourite and most re-read books (I do love the books). Reading them as an adult you can really find a whole new set of messages in them, and even if you don't like the stories too much then the art is just amazing.

BUT! Instead of putting some of the Moomin art up, I've decided to include a few of Tove's illustrations for a version of J.R.R Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' (another amazing book). I only recently discovered she ever illustrated a version of this! Most happy. I hope you enjoy her interpretations of the characters and situations, caus in my opinion they're bloody brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...Tove Jansson illustrated The Hobbit? Does this mean my life is now complete?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes it does. Unfortunately there was only one edition made and it wasn't popular so they're not really around, also it would either be in Finnish or Swedish. BUT! You can see all the illustrations here: http://www.zepe.de/tjillu/hobbit/index.html

      Delete